pregnancy

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Protein Bar Recipe & Cardio

My friend asked me to post the protein bar recipe I use and expound on my cardio rotation.

The protein bar recipe is by Food Network's Alton Brown, from his show Good Eats. I love that show. Keep in mind that it IS a protein bar, not an ultra sweet granola bar. It's better than the ones from the store.

Protein Bars
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005
Prep Time: 25 min
Inactive Prep Time: 0 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Level: Easy
Serves: 24 (2-inch) squares
4 ounces soy protein powder, approximately 1 cup
2 1/4 ounces oat bran, approximately 1/2 cup
2 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 1/2 cup
3/4-ounce wheat germ, approximately 1/4 cup
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 ounces raisins, approximately 1/2 cup
2 1/2 ounces dried cherries, approximately 1/2 cup
3 ounces dried blueberries, approximately 1/2 cup
2 1/2 ounces dried apricots, approximately 1/2 cup
1 (12.3-ounce) package soft silken tofu
1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice
4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/2 cup packed
2 large whole eggs, beaten
2/3 cup natural peanut butter
Canola oil, for pan
Line the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper and lightly coat with canola oil. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the protein powder, oat bran, wheat flour, wheat germ, and salt. Set aside.
Coarsely chop the raisins, dried cherries, blueberries and apricots and place in a small bowl and set aside.
In a third mixing bowl, whisk the tofu until smooth. Add the apple juice, brown sugar, eggs, and peanut butter, 1 at a time, and whisk to combine after each addition. Add this to the protein powder mixture and stir well to combine. Fold in the dried fruit. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week (I freeze them for up to a month in a plastic bag, though they're gone way before a month is up--you don't have to thaw them before eating).
*I choose to reduce the amount of fruits I put in so I can add just a little bit of dried cranberries as well. It's cheaper to buy all the fruits in bulk, if possible.
*I use 1/3 c agave nectar syrup + 1 Tbs molasses instead of the brown sugar.
*I also use 2 heaping tablespoons of soy flour instead of the eggs.

For my cardio, either on the elliptical trainer or the treadmill or running around town, I do a 5 min warm up, a 2 minute speed burst followed by a 2 minute recovery--repeated 5 times, and then a 5 min cool down. That 2 min speed burst can seem intense sometimes, but then I just close my eyes and really breathe!

No comments: