pregnancy

Monday, January 5, 2009

60 lbs in 6 months!

Yes, you read that title correctly. I have stopped nursing now that Claire is 6 months old so that I can give this my full attention. Please don't assume that I recommend that for everyone, but I really felt that since my baby is very healthy and the feelings of urgency I've been having concerning getting healthy, that it was the way to go for me.
Before you become a skeptic about this goal, I would like to say a few things. First, I have to thank my sweet friend Elizabeth. She and Patty and I have been watching the tv show "Biggest Loser" (hereafter referred to as BL) together. This is the first season I have watched, and we just saw the finale. I was so moved that these people were able to make such big changes, not just in their bodies, but in their lives. I think about the things the trainers say to them ("I'm trying to save your life, here!" -Bob "Unless you are puking or passing out, keep walking!" -Jillian). Admittedly, they (especially Jillian) frighten me a bit. But I see the value in what they are trying to instill--serious change is hard, but reachable.

Elizabeth was trying to help me be realistic when I told her that I wanted to do 60 lbs in 6 months, telling me that it's the kind of thing that they do on BL, not in regular lives with regular people. I was definitely taken aback. I thought to myself, "Why would she say that to me? Who says I can't?" I asked Patty, who has had great success in her weight loss ventures, and she said that I could do it if I was truly willing to work hard and sacrifice. I realized that for me the key was the sacrificing.

The thing is, Elizabeth was right. In the place I was before, I could not have done it, because I would not have done it. Why is that? Because I was the overweight/fat person who wanted to be skinny, but not work and sacrifice to give up the junk and lazy/excuse making attitiude, the alcoholic that doesn't want to be a drunk but doesn't want to give up drinking, the liar who wants to be trusted but not at the cost of admitting mistakes and being honest at all times. Okay, so I'm not all of those things, but you understand what I am saying, right? I realized two things that I already knew, but wasn't making use of: 1. True change is hard. 2. So what? I CAN DO HARD THINGS. Who says I can't? My good friend spurred me, and made me realize that it really is up to me to make it happen and I can't be like I was before--that's what got me into that position in the first place. I feel different now, because I am different. This realization has truly changed me on the inside. Now, I will show everyone, and myself, that I can.

Now, for the goal. I plan to lose 60 lbs in 6 months, 10 lbs a month, approximately 2.3 lbs a week. I know that 2 lbs a week is healthy weight loss, and that is fine with me. If I lose more, great. If I don't get a total of 60, I know I will still have made a great improvement in my health, and my life. The timeline is the first Monday in January of 2009 to the first Monday in July 2009.

I have arranged for a personal trainer to come to my house and help me train with the equipment I have here on the first Tuesday of every month. It will cost $25 for a half an hour--in the long run, $25 a month for 6 months is a lot cheaper than medical bills. I will need to exercise 6 days a week (including when I am on vacation).
I have to eat well every day, about 5 times a day. Sundays I won't exercise, and I will allow myself 1/2 to 1 cup of dessert, depending on how bad it is. No other sweets during the week. I plan on improving my 5 a day for fruits and veggies and including more plant based proteins into my diet. My target range for calorie intake each day is between 1200-1550 calories.

Every Monday, I will take and post my weight (in pounds). The first Monday of every month, I will take and post pictures, measurements (in inches), and body fat %.
I plan on writing down everything that I eat (I'll do a calorie counter at SparkPeople--a free website with lots of great resources) and report my daily caloric intake and how I feel I did each day.

Another way that I hope to keep myself accountable is by seeing that someone else is counting on me. A wonderful family at my church is made up of Bryce, Angie (the parents), Blake, Afton, Alyssa, & Bennett (the kids). Blake and Bennett are both autistic of varying levels. Bryce and Angie have created a non-profit organization called Have Fun, Inc. They offer activities, services and other helps to families that have special needs. They don't just deal with autism, but also blind people, quadrepeligics, parapeligics, down syndrome, etc. I have decided that if you are so inclined, I would like to invite anyone who would want to to pledge any desired amount of money for each pound that I lose that will go directly to Have Fun, Inc. If you don't want to, but know of someone else who might want to donate to this organization, please spread the word. In talking to Angie about this, she and Bryce have also decided to make goals of their own. Angie is doing the 60 in 6 like me, and Bryce is going to do 30 in 3. I am really excited to be able to do this for those familes and for myself. If you are interested, then please make a comment with your pledge, or click the link above to Have Fun, and contact them with your pledge.

Today is Monday, as well as the first Monday of January, so here's all the information I promised (sorry about the pics, it ain't pretty...):
I used the eliptical for 1.25 miles in 30 minutes. Not bad for a first workout. I'll post an addendum to this blog entry later tonight with my caloric info.

Weight: 208.2
Body Fat %: 42.0
Upper Thigh: 26.5
Hips: 45.75
Waist: 38.5
Bust: 48.75
Upper Arm: 13.75
Neck: 15
Addendum: Well, I blew my caloric intake at dinner. I didn't plan ahead well enough; I should have done better calculating how to trim at dinner because of the calories I ate earlier in the day. Oh well, I now know what I need to do--Adjust calories earlier in the day, or trim things down a bit for dinner if I've eaten more calories at the 4 earlier meals. My target calorie intake for each day is between 1200-1500 calories a day. I ended up having 1937 calories. My protein (104 g) and fat (52 g) intake were in range (60-136 for protein and 27-60 for fat). I had 22 g more than I was supposed to in order to stay in range for the carbs (135-252 g). Today I will plan better to stay in the target range.

4 comments:

jen said...

You are A W S O M E!!!! After I moved I lost my drive and determination. I have just started back into my workout program, but over the holidays gained some weight. Thank you for your post and I can't wait to track your progress ;]

jen said...

on your oct. 10th post I noticed you were talking about jeans, well I came across a lady who insures jeans for people who are trying to loose weight...it's a great idea!! I've got a link on my fitness blog http://jensbalance.blogspot.com/

Beth said...

You can totally do it Charlotte. I started using Sparkpeople.com on July 28, 2008, and I was 211.5. On Nov, 25, 2008, when I found out that I am pregnant again, I was 165.6. So that is 46 pounds in 4 months. And all I did was vut my portions and change what I ate, no exercise. After I have this baby I am going to get back to it and add exercise so that I can get down to my goal of 130. Good luck, I will be following your progress.

Molly said...

You are the best and you can totally do it!!! Tell me if i need to fan the flames under your butt at all. :) Just remember that you feel better inside when u eat healthy and that's all that matters. It just so happens that it reflects outside too! You are gonna do it and look even hotter! I love you!